Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Yes I did!

Yes, I did go do hills in the pouring rain. Look at me go! :)

I showed up at ye olde Running Room and sat in my car waiting to see if runner-guy would show up. I saw some other people that I remembered from run club so I went into the store and then runner-guy did show up. (did I mention this guy is in his 60s?)

The other people (including the 10K clinic leader) said: No! don't go do hills! It is too rainy! Luckily runner-guy was still game although we went and did the girlie neighborhood hills instead of the bad-ass hill. Better that than no hills (although my half marathon training has not officially started, it is good to get a head start). It did not rain too hard while we were out there. I was wearing my husband's waterproof cycling jacket (which I know pisses him off) because I don't have a running jacket that is remotely waterproof. Thats ok, in a few more weeks the rain will be over and it will be back to a desert around here.

So... I now have a new nerdy gadget. As a belated birthday present (to be fair he tried to get me one for my birthday but none were available) my husband got me the latest Garmin Forerunner 405. What is that? It is a speed and distance monitor in the form of a watch (no foot pod although it has an optional one you can buy for added accuracy and for use inside?). It works on GPS. I didn't quite know how to work it yesterday but I am looking forward to using it on my next run on Thursday. I think I have figured it out. Now I can run all over the place and still know how far I went and know my speed at any given time. This can be a dangerous thing but I will try not to be corrupted by wanting to run a certain speed. It is neat to have all the data afterwards though. Very cool.

5 comments:

Marissa said...

I am so, so, so very jealous that you got a Garmin!! I have been coveting one for a long time now. I kind of hate you right now (not really, but just a little).

angie nicholas said...

sounds like a cool new toy. good for you for going out running in the rain. I see people here do it all the time and think wow they are really dedicated. glade to see things are going good. Angie

Fatinah said...

congrats on the Garmin - I love mine!!

I can't believe you ran in that mess last night!!! Good Lord - you're lucky you didn't wash away!!!

sarah sundae said...

That does sound cool! I keep hearing more and more about them.

Deborah said...

A new gadget, WOW!! Wonder what it would say with my walk back and forth in my driveway :o)

Great job on the rainy run. Now that's called determination.