Wednesday, August 20, 2008

New Focus?

OK. One thing I know for sure is that I am signed up for a Half Ironman for next June. I am still up in the air about doing a half marathon this fall. I know some of the Gut2Cut people would be inspired to see me do it but I am not overly inspired myself. I kind of want to just set that aside and focus on the half Ironman and dropping more weight. Here is why:

1. I am struggling with the long runs and I have missed a few due to being away from home. My knees are starting to bother me after my long runs.

2. It is not that I don't think I can complete a half marathon. I know I can. I am just worried that I may injure myself and then where would I be?

3. I am not happy with the fact that it is taking 90 minutes to run 12K on my long run. That is just a hell of a lot of pounding when the long runs go to 16K and 18K (schedule is 16K this weekend)

The irony is that I have been through all this before. I found a journal yesterday and read a bit of it. It was 2001 and I had recently completed my first half marathon. I was not satisfied with my result and wanted to run faster. Flip through a few pages and I had an injury and was in physio. Flip forward a few pages and I was trying to remind myself that running slow was better than not running at all. On another page I was recounting advice from my husband saying that if I wanted to run faster that I had to train faster. This is all hilarious to me because here I am 7 years later having the same conversation with husband about how slowly I am running.

Anyways.... I am doing a half Ironman next June. Doing it at my current weight would be painful. The truth is that by running at this weight I am asking for trouble. A healthy weight for my joints would probably be 160 or better yet 150 (but that number scares me because I have not been there for 20 years). In case you are wondering I am almost 5 foot 9.

If I had 30 pounds less on my body I would probably be running a hell of a lot faster with the exact same fitness level that I currently have. It is crazy!

My daughter is 36 pounds and on vacation she wanted me to carry her from the lake to the house. It was *really* hard. I could barely do it. It made me wonder how much easier running and cycling would be if I was 30 pounds less than I am now.

Since I started working out my weight loss has stalled because I have not been focused on my food, only my workouts. Working out also gives me the false sense that is it OK to eat more and if I excercise at 7pm or later my body physically feels hunger pains.

So blah blah blah.... blah blah blah. I have to put my money where my mouth is. I need to take this to the next level weight wise if I have these athletic aspirations.

As of this moment here is what I think I should do: Run 3 times a week as I am now. Keep doing hills because they will make me stronger. One run should be a short run at a very high effort. For the long run just keep running 70 minutes or so and hopefully that 70 minutes will be further and further as time goes. Eat between 1500 (ya right) and 1800 calories a day and log in Fitday to keep track. Get my ass on my Elliptical and burn up extra calories to make the scale move. Focus on the half Ironman. Do the training plan that my husband sets for me for the half Ironman. Make it happen.

I guess this means I am not going to do a half marathon this fall. I will be doing a half marathon, it will just be 9 months from now and it will be after a swim and a bike :)

9 comments:

SeaBreeze said...

Bare in mind that training for any triathalon is going to be hard on your body. All 3 Sports require you to develop and hone different muscle groups. The training plan may get frustrating, but sometimes it gets worse before it gets better.

I am having to do the same thing with my runs - focus on time over distance because I was getting faster, but it just meant I was working out for a shorter time.

I am sure you can do it!

Heather said...

Yes. I am trying not to think ahead to how hard the training is going to be for the half ironman next year. I will begin the schedule for that training in November. I know it is going to be a lot! I can't believe I signed up for it on a whim. Oh wait, yes I can! Impulsive!!! :)

Fatinah said...

I really think that you're going to have an easier time focussing on things now that you have made the decision about what you're doing about the half.

Sheree Rensel said...

Spark, I TOTALLY understand what you are saying. I am different from you. I have NO desire to ever run a marathon or an iron man anything. However, as you know I do 5ks. As much as I want to do them as fast as I can, I just can't. I realize my limitations. My reasons are very different from yours. My "old" knees just can't take the pounding and my hip joints start hollering after about a mile. So I have to live with my silly walk/run/walk/run. Hey, at least I don't hurt myself; I finish the race; I go home and feel proud. I figure I am doing just fine since in a couple of weeks I will be joining trboh and gain "Active Adult" status !! LOL LOL

Terry (kettlebellguy.com) said...

I enjoyed your post. Your comments about working out vs. your eating plan reminded me of the "You can't out train a bad diet" comment that my trainer made to me.

I also agree that we have to find safe ways to work hard at our own level. Over an over I see people on youtube start out on a exercise plan that lasts for two days and then they stop because of injury. That does no good at all.

I work hard, as I know you do, but I am always concerned about injury. In the end I believe it's better for me to go slower or go lighter sometimes to prevent an injury. If I have an injury then I will really have a set back.

Terry

Deborah said...

Sounds like you have a plan.

Your reasons are really good ones for not doing the half marathon this fall. I would hate to see you injured and/or depressed about the outcome.

Anonymous said...

I know in my heart that you are strong enough to do a half marathon in a few weeks time. But I also know that if your heart isn't into it, your training is going to suffer and small aches that you may have worked through in the past will be too much to bear. If you want to focus on the half ironman, then I think it is a good plan.
My only hesitation is that you are giving up on one goal made a few months ago for another that is a few months (OK, more than a few) away. Mentally, I think it is sometimes important to set a goal and stick to it "come hell or come high water" or you never end up reaching a goal and end up constantly beating yourself up. Just my two cents, though.
Terry - great quote - I'll keep that one with me. ("You can't out train a bad diet").

Anonymous said...

Oh ! Now I understand better why you still hesitated for the half. Of course why not having one and only one strong focus. I believe from November you'll have quite a hard training too. But SURELY few pounds less. So why not!!??!!
I totally understand the injury..you know that. So take it at your rhythm.
I enjoy reading your blog.
:-)

Marissa said...

I think you are making a wise decision...if your heart isn't really into the half then drop it and focus on a race that you really care about.