Thursday, July 17, 2008

Whacked!

Out of nowhere, wham! A whack to the knee! No, it was not a Tonya Harding scenario... I was not paying good enough attention and got whacked by a bus door. Man did it hurt. Hit me right on the knee cap.

It has been about 6 years since I have regularly taken transit. Today I took the bus to work because husband had to leave early (we usually drive together) and I stayed home until my mom got to our house to watch the kids. The bus was packed and when it was time to get off there was a guy standing in front of me. He had headphones on and his back to me and did not seem to be making any motions like he was going to get off. I said "Excuse me" in a friendly tone and he said "We are getting off" in a slightly grumpy tone. I said "OK, great". Then when people started moving followed him off the bus.

I was not paying 100% attention (had one ear bud in, listening to the radio) and all of the sudden Wham, huge insane pain to my kneecap. I was getting out the rear door and did not put my hand out to push the door-bar-thing on the open door. However, I have a feeling that Mr. Grumpy didn't do it either because there is no way it should have hit me that fast. Man did that hurt. I had to sit on the bench for 5 minutes before I could walk. That pain went away and I could finally walk but now it is like a dull ache. I am going to be so mad at myself if this affects my training. Hopefully this will be a distant memory a week from now and there will be no lasting effects. I was just thankful that I am not elderly. The surely would have broken an old lady's kneecap. Not to self: "Beware of getting off the bus. It can be dangerous!"

4 comments:

Fatinah said...

poor you!

angie nicholas said...

I hear ya on the bus we take it every day and as you have read both on my husbands blog and Williams blog that we have had some awe full experiences. hope the knee feels better soon Angie

Deborah said...

So glad it didn't break anyting.

Did you put some ice on it at work? That should help.

Sheree Rensel said...

Sparky,
Baby that knee until it gets better. My left knee got damaged and it still isn't right. I will think everything is all better and then it goes out again. I understand when you said "OUCH"!!