Saturday, July 19, 2008

Saturday - Ride that was waaay harder than it was supposed to be.

So as I said... Trainer had told me a ride to try and do (37th street and 22X) and he said it had good 'rollers'.


Well, I am no expert cyclist but it is my understanding that 'rollers' describe a ride that has gently rolling hills.


And so that is how my ride started out. The hills were not too bad. Then I took a right, then a left and found myself at the bottom of a giant HILL! OK fine, I'll do that hill. (but that is not a roller!!! I was thinking ). Husband had mentioned there were 3 hills and this big one was the third one I counted. No problem.


So up I went, on and on and on. Click-Click was the noise my bike made as I tried to change gears but my bike was already in my easiest gear. That hill was a beast. I could barely push my easiest gear. But I'm tough so I did it. However, what did I find at the end of that monster hill? Another monster hill, then another and then another one. That was hard. And I was kind of bitter because these were supposed to only be 'rollers'


Originally I had planned on doing a 2 hour ride out and back but no way was I going to do those monster hills again so I called up husband and he gave me an alternate route. Alternate route was longer but not as steep so off I went.


In the end I rode for 2 hours and 24 minutes. Total distance: 53.3 km. Fastest speed: 64 km/hr (Scary!!!), Average speed: 22.1 km/hr (not bad for all those hills).


According to my heart rate monitor: 1427 calories, Max heart rate: 169, Average heart rate: 137.


I could have easily stayed home instead of doing this ride but I'm glad I went. Husband says I did really well. Here's what my elevation change looked like. Click on it to make it readable.




Tomorrow I am scheduled to do my 'long' run for my half marathon training. I wonder how my legs will be feeling?

4 comments:

angie nicholas said...

awesome ride. good for your for doing it sounds tough don't think I could have done it

Fatinah said...

good Lord - I wouldn't be able to walk for a week after a ride like that - rollers indeed!

SeaBreeze said...

Amazing Ride. That's huge. Good for you. I wish I had a bike. Don't sell yourself short, that kind of effort is "stunning"

Sheree Rensel said...

So Sparky,
Did your butt hurt as mine did the day after this ride??? SHOOT!! My behind is still sore today. I have another ride tomorrow morning! YIKES!!!

Sheree