____________________________
I had a good question from Jinxxxygirl
"Question? My husband like to exercise in the pool. Anthing else hurts his joints etc.. and i would like to be more enthusiastic about helping him work out. He weighs almost 270 pounds but the thought of putting on a bathing suit just makes me cringe. How do you get past that or do you struggle with body image like that?? Jinx!"
____________________________
Well, as I walked out of the pool yesterday I was thinking about your question. I guess my answer is yes I definitely do struggle with body image. However I guess there is a level of anonymity at the pool. If I thought I was going to run into someone who knows me (aside from one of my close girlfriends) I might think twice about it.
But really, I put my suit on and off I go. If I thought I might run into my personal trainer at the pool I would not be too happy and might hide out in the changeroom. Does that make sense? I am fine with showing my lumps and bumps to strangers but not to people who know me althought I would do it I would be self conscious about it.
Take it from me. There are plenty of imperfections at the pool and in the change room. You see all sorts of things and I hope you give it a try soon!
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hey girl!
Thanks for anwering my question in such a BIG way. LOL! UUuugh i know its just something else i'll have to get past. I worry too much what strangers think. Its another one of those things to accomplish during my year of living fearlessly. :) Jinx!
huh.
I hadnt thought there'd be a level of anonymity at the pool...more imagined it would feel like it's ALL OUT THERE :)
interesting response to a great question.
hmmm...interesting question...I can relate to not going to the pool due to poor self image...I avoid it all costs...unlike my sister, I don't see the anonymity of going to a pool...yes I have seen lots of REALLY scary people at the pool...but that still doesn't make me feel less scary...The only time I was OK going to the pool, was when I purposely took an aqua fit class with seniors... that way I was no different then them...other than age, and I knew they REALLY wouldn't care about me or my body shape. I arrived first, so I didn't have to be seen in the change room, and left the pool last to avoid them there as well, not to mention worked out in the deep end so as to not be near them...Once I was there for a few weeks, and was looking a bit better and seeing my results, I didn't avoid the pool as much. The trick is to get yourself there by whatever means possible.
Pick a pool in a neighbourhood where you know you won't find anyone familiar perhaps?
Anyway, good luck with it :)
Post a Comment