Tuesday I had a personal training session but I also had a run to do because I went swimming on Monday instead of running.
Well, I went early to the personal training and shocked my trainer by saying "I have to go running first" and out the door I went after just arriving . That was a first. It was a beautiful day. Anyways I got my run in and got my weights in with the trainer. The other trainer at the gym thought it was all pretty bizarre and was wondering where the heck I had gone. My trainer jokingly told her that he had sent me for an hour long run and that he was timing it with his watch (implying that I was paying him for an hour of just holding a watch and not even running with me).
Today is Wednesday. I am very very tired but, I cannot slack off people. I have this huge mountain that I am going to climb in June (my race) and I have to do all my workouts to get me there. So, I will haul myself out the door to swim even though I really would rather go to sleep. I stayed up too late last night (11:30) watching my recording of the Biggest Loser.
Today I decided that I should make a new rule and go to bed at 10 o'clock. There was a doctor on the radio (CBC) talking about how if you don't get enough sleep that it will interfere with weight loss even if you have all the other pieces right (exercise and calorie reduction). That is a pretty scary thought. That if you eat 'right' and exercise, run a calorie deficit you body might still hold onto the fat because you did not sleep enough. (Please ignore my punctuation and comma splicey run on sentences)
I know I have vaguely heard this before about sleep and how it can help weight loss. I didn't know it is was *that* important though.
(more rambling) I am lucky that I don't have insomnia. I guess a lot of people do. What I have is the urge to stay up late and veg because I have the two minions at my heels during the hours of 7am to 8:30pm most days. When 8:30pm rolls around and I gain my freedom the last thing I want to do is go to sleep. I want to stay up like I have an adult life or something :)
What do you think? Is it possible that lack of sleep has impacted your weight loss efforts? Hey Anthony, didn't you say you were having trouble with your sleep and that the scale was not budging even though you were doing well with your food and exercise?
Baked Southwest Turkey Meatballs
18 hours ago

4 comments:
I only average 5 - 6 hours of sleep a nite. So boy i'm in trouble if this is true and no the scale is not moving! LOL! I work early shift at a shitty job just so i can be home evenings with my husband....if i went to bed when i should it would cut our evenings short and thus delete my whole purpose of working early shift......can't win.
Lack of sleep produced the same hormones as stress, I think it is called leptin. You may hear it sometimes on those commercials that advertise a weight loss pill for "belly fat." I think of it as when your body is under stress, either emotionally or physical stress (more like starvation not like regular, moderate exercise that actually reduces stress), your body goes into survival mode trying to conserve energy & store fat, particularly around the belly region.
Another benefit to sleep is you don't eat when you're asleep. That is what I have been doing a lot of this week. hehe
I aim for 8 hrs but with my crazy schedule there are some days I go at least 24 hrs without sleep & others where I may sleep for 12+. I know this isn't good for me but I work the night shift & there isn't a lot I can do about it other than finding another job (which may happen in the next year...fingers crossed).
I have heard several times how important sleep is. I really believe it helps in ALL parts of our lives. I think you should give yourself the bedtime, especially with the training schedule you have.
Good job, by the by, going for your run before working with the trainer. You are really on a roll. Just that alone must be making you feel better about things.
I really work hard to get enough sleep. I know people think I am crazy but I try to be in bed by 8PM. My goal is to not get up until 4AM.
I know I am lucky that my home life permits me to have a schedule like that. Not everyone could, or would, want that type of schedule.
As far as it having an impact on weight loss....well, I am still fat.
I have noticed a huge change in my sleeping patterns over the years. I long for those days as a teenager when I would fall into the bed and sleep for 12 hours. Good times.
Terry
Post a Comment