I got a good email from my friend Hazel and I am posting it here, more for myself than anything else. This can be done. I just have zero room for screw ups from now on. Seriously. There is a line in the sand (concrete if you are Terry) that once I pass it, doing the race will be folly. I am not there yet but I am close. I must stay away from that line and it is going to be stressful.
Here is Hazel's email in blue:
If you can stand the stress - continue with the half-ironman plan - concentrate on swim and bike.
On the swim - I just watched your first triathlon video again and you had issues with the open water swim. You might want to practice swimming in the wet suit (in the pool) at some point - like most of May. I find wet suit swims really odd/uncomfortable - anxiety causing.
You are a strong cyclist. Keep getting strong/er.
The run is the absolute least of your worries. You do the two events with ease, and you can worry about the run when you get to it. Train for a 10 km.
P.S. - ½ Ironman - at our level are never pretty. You do the swim - that's over - you do the bike - which you are good at - that's over - put one foot in front of the other - walk, walk, walk - Oh, I think I will jog to that water station - walk, walk, walk, oh - I think I will jog to that telephone pole, walk, walk, walk.- you get to drink coke with impunity. Coke at the water stations was like a really good recreational drug.
In my first half-ironman - I think I walked the first 3 k.
Another thing to keep in mind - The race has a very soft cut off - if you are over 8 hours, you can still finish with a time, and with support, and a medal - the organizers support you.
Consider doing a mini-bike camp with J. Consider doing a mini bike camp with me (!) The lake may be warm enough for a practice swim.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Do you feel the sand getting firmer as it turns into concrete?
Just keep moving and you will not get dragged down by it.
Terry
your friend Hazel sounds like a keeper!
Post a Comment