Saturday, December 13, 2008

Friday Workout - Silly Winter Running

You might be a crazy canuck if you go running when the city is under a winter storm warning and the snow is coming down like crazy.

Yesterday I was scheduled to do a 45 minute run. When I went out running there was about 4 inches of loose powder on the sidewalks and you could not really tell the difference of where the sidewalks ended and the roads began. It was kind of fun and kind of not. I made it running for 20 minutes when I took my first break to try and unclench my knotted up calves. From then until 30 minutes I was walking and running about half and half. I cut it short and got back to my house at about 33 minutes.

I might have made it the whole 45 minutes if I had dressed myself properly. For some reason when I didn't find my running tights in my bedroom I thought it would be OK to run in my loose bottomed track pants. Since my running socks are short that left my ankles and calf exposed to the swirling snow that was whirling around inside the bottom of my loose pants. Wheee! It is probably good that I came home when I did because my skin was red with white spots and headed towards a frost burn if I didn't cut it out.

It is unusually for us to have so much snow this time of year. Usually this is a pretty dry place with respect to snow. It is nice to have it all for Christmas though.

Tonight is the Christmas party. I will be wearing a dress but won't be super dolled up with fancy hair and makeup. I will be wearing the same (ugly) shoes that I have been wearing for years. At least they don't hurt my feet. I did briefly look for new ones at the mall but of course there are not shoes in my size (ten and a half) at the mall and they moved the tall girl store to the other end of the city . I will probably post a photo per your requests but it won't be anything fancy :)

Today is a long bike workout. I should get on that!

5 comments:

angie nicholas said...

have fun tonight. I wear a size 9 10 sometimes depending on the shoe so I hear ya on finding shoes that fit. mine always go quick where we shop. the strike did take place on Thursday and it sucks not being able to go were you want when you want. it's just to cold here to walk anywhere its -15 today without a windchill. we got slammed with 31 centmeters of snow on Wednesday.

jinxxxygirl said...

We decided to boycott our Christmas party this year. Every year for the last oh 12 years they have played a game called 'white elephant' . Ever hear of it??? Well this year they decided not to do it. And come to think about it, it was probably the whole reason we went all those years..... LOL! So we stayed home. Hope you had a great time. Brrr! That run sounded COLD! I've been drawing the line at about 45 -50 degrees. It never stays cold here long, knock on wood. So if i need to postpone a run i can usually run the next day. I absolutle LOVE my underarmor. Its the cheaper brand BCG i think is the brand but it still works well. Talk at ya later. Keep up the good work! Deb

SeaBreeze said...

You ran in the snow? You're my idol. I chickened out and went indoor skating with some friends for 90mins instead. Not the same calorie burn but better than nothing. How do you bundle up for the cold? My hands and nose FREEZE - hence why I only did a 2K sprint on Saturday!

Fatinah said...

Friday was crazy - I can't believe that you ran!

Marissa said...

Way to go on running even with the snow!! Dressing for winter running is tricky...either I put on too much or not enough.