Sunday, March 1, 2009

Finally a Run

Ok. Here is the dark truth. I can't remember the last time I ran before today. For someone who is signed up to do a half ironman in about 3 months (the run portion is 13 miles) that is not the brightest idea. It started off when I got bronchitis (self diagnosed) and the weather was brutally cold even by Canadian standards. Then well, who knows why.

Anyways, I went for a run today and just ran. I started my watch but did not look at it while I was running except for the occaisional glace at my heart rate just out of interest. I did not go overly far and I did not really worry about how fast I went. In the end I ran half an hour.

While I was running a magical thought came to me. I have been very scared of doing this race. Am I scared of the swim ? Not really, I don't care if I come out of the lake last. I am not afraid that I will drown. I am not afraid of open water swimming. Am I scared of the bike? Not at all. Biking is easy for me. I can push myself on the bike no problem. And more importantly I *have* been doing my bike training. Am I scared of the run? Absolutely. I have done a half marathon before and the training was HARD. The race was hard. My finishing time was slow. Mentally I know how tough a half marathon race would be for me especially since I am not in great running shape.

So, what was my magical thought? Well to trick myself of course. I am not longer going to worry about training for the half marathon distance. In my head I will train for a 10K. I can train for a 10K no problem! What about the other 11K you ask? Who cares! I will cross that bridge when I come to it. If I walk 10 or even 20 kilometers? Who cares! I will have finished it and not wussed out. That is my magical thought of the day :)

"Real" triathletes would think I was bonkers, a poser, a weinie. But I don't care. I have 3 months left. I don't want to stress that entire time about the run, how slow I am running, how far I have to run etc. Not worth it and it would exponentially increase my chances of wussing out.

3 months to go. Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiikkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss! What was I thinking signing up for this? :) :) :)

If Hazel can do it so can I. If Hazel can do it so can I. If Hazel can do it so can I. If Hazel can do it so can I. If Hazel can do it so can I. If Hazel can do it so can I. If Hazel can do it so can I. If Hazel can do it so can I. If Hazel can do it so can I. If Hazel can do it so can I. If Hazel can do it so can I. If Hazel can do it so can I. Hi Hazel!!!

PS. Yesterday I biked really hard at my hosue with Michelle for 90 minutes while we watched Pirates of The Caribbean. Good times!

6 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

Girl, i LOVE your mentality. I think you got it! Just finish! Just finish this triathalon and i think you will want to do another. The only way to get over the fear is to just DO it.
My 5k in two weeks . There will be people there from my work and i don't want to fall on my face in front of them. But then i take a deep breath and realize the worst thing i could do is not finish and i cannot imagine that happening even if i had to crawl across the finishline i WOULD finish. So we are just making mountains out of mole hills. You just keep plugging along and doing the best you can. Remember this is suppose to be fun! Jinx!

Hazel said...

That made me laugh....

You are right. The triathlon seems imposing and overwhelming, but that is hype. Steady recreational athletes can do triathlons and really like them. Do the training, and you can do the distance.

The long triathlons are bike rides with a swim starter and a run (run-walk) chaser -- and guess what, you are a supreme cyclist! No worries. From one UOA to another - you rock ...(inside joke Ms. Stewart and Nickichicky will get).

Aloha.

Deborah said...

Yes, you can do it!!!

Great idea on phyching your self out. Just do it!!

Amber said...

I think your new train of thought (pardon the pun) is a great idea. I know that you have been freaked out about the run but really, if you walk most of it, who cares? It's much different than just running a half where the run is the only time you have. You are embarking on a journey that many wouldn't even have the courage to sign up for. You are such a strong swimmer & cyclist that you'll be way ahead of where you thought you'd be by the time you even start the run. Why start stressing now???

Fatinah said...

I think you're a genius! That is the right mentality to keep the training fun and to keep you DOING IT!! I just did that 1/2 marathon and the longest run I did in my "training" was ONE 12k. In the end, I still finished....and you will too!! I actually just did my first run since that race this morning. I had freaked myself out and have been avoiding it....and you know what? I had a great easy run, just went slow and it felt friggen great!! So often we are going through the same sorts of things at the same time. I just want to say thank you - it makes me feel SO much better to know I'm not alone!!

Angie said...

I'm no triathelete, that's for sure, but your no poser. Your doing this. Very cool indeed. It was nice to checkon your blog and see that your still fighting the good fight. There's something reassuring in that. :0)