Disclaimer: Skip this entry if you don't want to read yet another blog entry about my waffling about my race. Carry On!
On tonight's show the people on the biggest loser were challenged to run the half marathon distance.
Geeze if people that overweight can do it surely I shouldn't be wussing out of this...
Then again I have to swim 2K and bike 90km first before running (or walking) said distance.
Today husband was suggesting that perhaps we shouldn't go to the race because:
A) It is going to cost us $800+ to go (including buying a wetsuit, hotel nights, babysitting if the kids don't come) Like most people we are trying to ride the frugal train (which by the way is completely foreign to me but I'm trying)
B) He has seen my lack of running and knows the world of pain I would be in for.
Basically the only thing stopping me from quitting now is the pattern of quitting that I have established. I don't like being a quitter but I quit the half marathon training last fall. I forget what I quit before that but it must have been something (does that qualify as a pattern?). One of my friends raised a good point though. By doing a strenuous event that I am not prepared for I am risking serious injury (specifically on the run). Given my past tendency towards injury that is a valid point.
Thanks for your comments on my last post. You guys rock!
Baked Southwest Turkey Meatballs
18 hours ago

5 comments:
Even before I read the comments from your last post I was thinking in my mind "Where is the fun?".
I think this whole thing is holding you back from other opportunities.
I don't think you are a quitter. It does seem that there may be an opportunity to improve on your achievement selection process.
I believe that if you set some reachable goals, like some 5 k's in your area and did those and got the feeling of success back in your that you would feel better.
We have to be brave enough to set big goals but also be brave enough to recognize that those goals may not really be the best thing for us.
Terry
Terry is right. When did finding a more appropriate goal become quitting? Life is short. Exercise is necessary to ensure that short life is as long as it can be. Surely we owe it to ourselves to spend that exercise time doing something that brings some joy. I think you know what exercise you like to do....we just need to find a way for you to work a goal around that joy...
Couldn't have said it better than Terry! It all a journey girl, learning about ourselves along the way. YOu'll find your way of that i'am certain. Jinx!
What about a trade off? Can you trade say a half marathon for the event you are currently not training properly for? Maybe one a month or two further out so you can start today, therefore NOT feel like you quit??
You definitely have a conundrum. To race or not to race. HMMMMMMM
I'd probably wuss out and not do it. But I'm a chicken about stuff like that.
Sorry, no help here :o)
Post a Comment