Friday, February 27, 2009

Bike Class

So, you know how my bike class is on computrainers and that the computer has our weights inputted and slows people down accordingly to their weight (makes the resistance harder especially on the hills)? My weight was the highest in the class and the computer was slowing me down *a lot*. The is another woman in the class who is tiny but not a very strong cyclist so the instuctor had been lowering her weight in the computer to help her keep up. One week he put her in there at 60 pounds.

Well, we have been doing VERY hard hill workouts and because my weight was in there at 50 pounds heavier than the others (ie, 25% heavier) I had been really struggling to finish the courses by the end of the class and sometimes could not. Well that was plain silly. What is the point of making it *so* much harder for me just because I happen to be heavier in real life? It got to the point where it was not enjoyable just because I was so far behind and the next class was starting etc.

So, this week I got equalized. I had them change my weight to be just slightly lower than the guys (and still higher than some of the women). You know what? I had a better workout because now that I had a fighting chance I worked my ass off to stay with them and even managed to get ahead of one of the men. It was pretty funny at the end of class. He said more than once about how he was dead last and was not really trying because he was sick. I call bull$hit on that. Next week, rematch! They are a funny bunch. They are quite friendly but deep down they all want to beat someone and thanks to my "high" weight in the computer they could always count on beating me. With a lower virtual weight I am harder to beat. Anyways bye for now!.

5 comments:

Amber said...

Good for you!! After all, the real world is always equalized.
It's funny how people appear to be secure as long there is a "fat person" in the room to make them feel better. Once that security blanket is no longer there, they crumble!!
Awesome to hear that you had a good workout - that's what it's all about.

Terry (kettlebellguy.com) said...

This is a great example of scaling something to meet the reality of your current fitness level.

If I had to do my Crossfit workouts the way the were written I would never complete one.

Last week I was in a class with a group of people where the youngest was a six year old boy and I was the old guy at 55. The coach adjusted things so that we both worked hard and both had fun. I don't think they have invented a computer do to that yet.

Terry

Fatinah said...

sure sounds like you had a lot more fun - awesome!

angie nicholas said...

I know your always around even when you don't comment. You and Terry are always there watching. kind of scary lol. Anyway thanks for the continued support and for being a good friend Angie

jinxxxygirl said...

That class sounds like so much fun. I'll bet you really torch the calories. I can't wait until i join a gym . Hopefully before summer sets in. Kick butt girl! Jinx!