Thursday, May 27, 2010

10,000?

OK. So I have not been up to much on the exercise front. I can't ignore it any longer. There has definitely been an increase to ye olde waist. What? How could this happen? Gee, I guess exercising must have been doing something after all. At least I did half an hour on the eliptical yesterday.


Anyways... it was nearing my mom's birthday and my aunt asked me to pick up a pedometer for my mom. While buying one for my mom I bought one for myself.


I have had pedometers before but they always annoyed me because if you looked at them sideways they seemed to add a step. Well not this new one. It actually seems to work.


Now, I would not suggest using one of these babies to record your distance while running but for recording actual steps it is kind of cool. It also has an algorithm in it to calculate when you are actually doing 'aerobic' steps. ie. moving your feet fast enough to be considered exercise.


There is a late 40s early 50s kind of guy at my work who has lost a significant amount of weight over the past 2 years. He watches what he eats and exercises. Whoa! Who knew that's what it took!


Anyways... I noticed today he was wearing the same pedometer that I have and at 11am his was showing 5400 steps. I chatted to him about it and actually the 5400 steps were aerobic steps. Holy hell! At 11am on a work day! That is kick ass!

He went on to say that his goal was 10,000 aerobic steps a day which usually works out to about 17,000 total steps.


Since I have had mine I have yet to get up to 10,000 period. It sounded easy enough but hmmmm....


Anyone want to have a step challenge? Minimum steps per day 10,000 and a challenge to who can do the most per day? (and please no pedometers that add steps by shaking them. hahaha). Post a photo of your pedometer at the end of the day or just type it?


This is a photo of my pedometer. The brand is Omron and I got it for about $40 at Shopper Drug Mart. They also sell a cheaper store brand one for about $16. I've had one of those before and they don't work so hot.

Another good thing about the one that I bought is that it actually works if you just stick it in your pocket. You don't actually have to display it like a pager on your belt! :)




6800 to go for today. So far my aerobic steps for today have been zero. It is rainy and cold out. Lucky thing the steps on the Eliptical count thought it is easier to get them running.

No comments: