Sunday, November 8, 2009

8K Race done

So, I ran my favourite race again. And again I was not trained properly for it. However, I loved doing it and I tried really hard. It is an 8K race where the first 4K is all uphill (and some of it is pretty darn steep)

My finishing time was not quite my personal worst. I was 1 minute slower the year I had a 6 month old baby at home. Hahahaha.

This was the first year I can remember it snowing during the race. That was a tad annoying. It was 1 degree C at race time. I wore a short sleeved shirt, a long sleeved shirt, medium tights, no hat. That seemed to be the right clothes for me.

I wore my heart rate monitor. I like to wear it mostly just to glance at to see if I am working hard enough during the race and it it fun to have some stats afterwards.

For my age my theoretical maximum heart rate is 183. However I am pretty sure my actually max heart rate is 184. I can't remember seeing it higher than that in a long time. I did see 188 briefly a couple of years ago.

So, this race is 4K uphill then 4K downhill. My max heart rate during the race was 184. My average heart rate was 175 (and according to my heart rate monitor I burned 1142 cals). That is freaking high people! This tells me 2 things.

1) I tried really hard. I did not slack off at all.

2) Unfortunately the high average heart rate is an indicator of my fitness. My fitness is not the greatest. My average speed was 8 minutes per km. Still I'm pretty happy that I ran that far since I started running again in July and at that point running 1 minute was hard. My longest run before the race was 26 minutes and the race took me over an hour to do.

Last year:
Pace: 7:23 min/km
Max: 179 bpm
Avg: 168 bpm
Cals: 836

Personal Best at this race: 8 years ago
Pace: 6:31 min/ km

It would be nice to be posting a year from now saying that I trained lots of hills in the summer and had my time back down under 7 minute per km pace. Just need to make it happen!

5 comments:

zurplemoon said...

congrats on doing it and completing

jinxxxygirl said...

You CAN make it happen!Great going!

Steph said...

Awesome! Congratulations!

Fatinah said...

I think it's great that you ran AND finished the race! And that isn't the worst pace - considering 4k was UP HILL!!

Dinograd said...

Good job. It sounds like it was a bit of a yucky night (weather wise) so it is awesome that you even ran it. As for next year's goal - count me in!!!