Monday, September 7, 2009

Controversial Article about Exercise

From Time Magazine article dated Aug 9th:

"The basic problem is that while it's true that exercise burns calories and that you must burn calories to lose weight, exercise has another effect: it can stimulate hunger. That causes us to eat more, which in turn can negate the weight-loss benefits we just accrued. Exercise, in other words, isn't necessarily helping us lose weight. It may even be making it harder."

The paragraph above strikes home with me.

Now don't get me wrong. Obviously I am not anti-exercise but something I have been thinking about for a while now is that often I eat too many calories on days that I exercise partly because of the exercise. Exercise does make me hungry and gives me this false sense that it is OK to eat more. I need to fight that. Exercise does not equal license to eat more calories, period. Not when you want to lose fat. If you want to maintain then OK, eat more. If you want to lose, forget it!

And then there is this paragraph:

"In short, it's what you eat, not how hard you try to work it off, that matters more in losing weight. You should exercise to improve your health, but be warned: fiery spurts of vigorous exercise could lead to weight gain."

dammitdammitdammit
From personal experience I know this is true...
Controlling food is far more important than exercise when it comes to losing fat.

Grrr...

Or as a wise man once said "You cannot out train a bad diet!" ... Terry Trboh

How I wish wish wish that was not true! :)

4 comments:

Fatinah said...

I have read a billion different places that it is 80% food, 20% exercise. I SO believe that! Balance is the key. Exercise to be healthy, eat balanced to control weight. Easy peasy. So, why aren't I at goal?

jinxxxygirl said...

I've been hearing stuff about that article alot. We just have to be strong and fight the urge to eat more because exercise is good for us. Maybe its partly WHAT your eating too. If we find ourselves extra hungry from exercising make it fruit and veggies! Keep putting on foot in front of the other girl! Your doing great! Jinx!

Terry (kettlebellguy.com) said...

That article has caused a lot discussion. I agree that for weight loss alone what you eat is what gets results.

We still need to find that elusive balance with exercise.

It's good to see you writing more and more often. I think it will help you be successful.

Terry

SeaBreeze said...

The quote is very true and its frustrating. I guess this means no more pizza and beer for the mon of Sept for me.