Must learn how to let go of stress.
In this case it is the kids activities.
6 year old son is signed up for both soccer and baseball for the next 8 weeks. Didn't seem like a great idea to me but whatever, I didn't do the signing up but I did go along with it. When I griped about it husband said "What, you only have to deal with 1 night a week (Wednesdays)" Ya, right.
Next the baseball people get husband to coach that team. Husband tells them he can't do Wednesday nights because he runs a Cycling thing on Wednesdays but the baseball schedule is on random nights and has not come out yet. I don't trust people to actually listen so I'm guessing there will be some Wednesdays on that schedule. Husband expects me to coach baseball on those nights. Um no freaking way!!! Chasing a soccer ball is one thing. Organizing kids to catch balls and hit balls with bats, another story.
Next the soccer co-ordinater calls and asks us to coach. I guess I didn't say no strongly enough because I got email this week directed to all the coaches. Excuse me? Since when am I a coach? There must be a typo. Soccer is on Mondays and Wednesday. Ya, Wednesday, the day when the husband is busy (and therefore can't take care of the younger offspring) and when the boy might already have baseball.
Did I mention the younger offspring has soccer on Fridays and that both kids have swimming on Saturdays?
My good friend's son is on the soccer team with my son. I thought she was going to be the coach. Apparently they have me listed as head coach and her assistant coach. All I know is that I never wanted to coach, and that there will be times that my kid won't be there. This is nuts. Trying not to reach for self medicating cookies.
I can see my friend Nicole reading this and thinking "Sucker!" See, her kids are not signed up for anything. Hmmmm... she might have a point there.
Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean.
Speaking of oceans a sane person would cancel the swimming lessons. Hmmmm....
UPDATE: Now that I have spewed all the negativity out, I am going to look on the bright side. Coaching could be fun and it is only 8 weeks right?
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Coaching will be AWESOME! If not, you can always blame it on the poor sap who's the assistant coach for your son's team :)
LMAO...I coached soccer, when mini me was 5, it's a fair commitment...it's fun and you get to do LOTS of running...however it can be stressful dealing with other people's PARENTS...that's right you heard me...the kids are the walk in the park...it's their parental units that get in the way....Your kid probably won't listen to a word you tell him either...it's the law of coaching at that age :)
And swimming in the summer...YIKES...been there...done that...never doing that again...
I found that doing so much ends up taking the fun out of it..I now pick one activity and stick with it...my sanity is much better for it and I can be a better happier Mom for both kids....
Enjoy it..this is your first time doing this much...probably your last too...so laugh it up and be thankful you didn't get roped into 2 more activities with little Miss as well...LOL
For two years i was an assistant leader of a girl scout troop. Had a blast! Then the next year i decided to take on a troop of my own and my hubby was my assistant........it was horrendous! Annie had it right that 9 times out of 10 its not the kids but the parents. I guess when i was an assistant my leader handled all the parental stuff because i never noticed. UUUgh! That was our one and only foray into leading anything.!
Growing up my daughter played soccer and gymnastics. Then once she hit 7th grade she was struggling in school and i told her you keep your grades up and you can be involved in any activity you want......That was both a blessing and a curse! She kept her grades up...blessing...she was involved in EVERYTHING ...blessing and a curse. Cross country, track, softball, band, basketball. But you know all those things helped her become the beautiful, confident young woman she is today. So you hang in there girl it will all be worth it in the end. Jinx!
There's a great article in the Herald talking about over-scheduling our kids - it might be worth a read (if nothing else to give a bit of perspective).
To look at the bright side, you WILL get lots of exercise on the field and really, if son is there, you would need to be there anyway. Volunteers are what make these organizations work. Try to stay positive and you may just have fun!!
I forgot to mention that at least 2 of the 8 games get cancelled due to poor weather . . . . .
>"if son is there, you would need to be there anyway."
True, but as I explained to the guy who asked me to coach.... my son is not going to be at soccer all the time because of baseball overlapping If he was going to be there all the time then it is a no brainer.
Husband and I have already agreed that next year son will have to pick which activity of the two he does in spring. I guess this year husband wanted him to try each to make sure which one it would be with the knowledge that we would be missing quite a bit of soccer.
Post a Comment