I received the following words of wisdom from my friend Hazel:
Quote from article in the Globe and Mail in green. The rest (in black) is Hazel:
(snip) On the back page of one of the sections, there is usually an essay from a writer, reader, or other person in each edition with some comment about life and life's experiences or struggles. It is often a good read. The following quote came from an essay that dealt with one woman's struggle to get fit and lose weight. She move to Yemen or some such place and started to work on her physicality. The bottom line in her essay is that she liked wearing a burka. Regardless of her point, I tore out the quote as opposed to the whole article because this small portion "spoke to me" so to speak.
...to concoct impossible workout regimens. Cardio five times a week, three weight sessions, yoga every day. No carbs. No alcohol. No sugar.
Although I exercised regularly, not living up to my own unreasonable demands kept me in a perpetual state of disappointment with myself.
My point is - and I do have one: In our quest to stay active and engaged, we have to be careful "our hobby" does not turn into a negative aspect or another stressor in our lives. The exercise is supposed to be fun, relieve stress - not be the root cause of it. Let us not be "in a perpetual state of disappointment with ourselves."
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
great analysis of the quote. I completely agree and fall victim to this myself. I workout 5 days a week on my lunch break and its always hard for me not to feel guilty when I "reschedule" my workout to have lunch with my BF or mom. I still get the workout in, but rescheduling it stresses me out more than it should.
great post today Heather and so true. Angie
Whatta great quote! I think I might just put that on my fridge. Something to think about as you train for the half Iron . . . .
Post a Comment