Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Delusional Bubble Burst

OK, I have tried to delude myself that WWs is crazy to tell me to eat what is basically the equivalent to 1200 - 1500 calories. Utter non-sense I thought. Ridiculous. I exercise! I need more than that! Wait, Jenny Craig has the same idea? Hmmm....

I picked up one of those tiny magazines that they sell in the checkout line. About the size of the TV Guide but titled "The Biggest Loser Weight Loss Planner". Inside was the dreaded truth. A third source confirming the 1500 calorie thing. A chart entitled How many calories do you need?

For a 190 pound person they list: 1330 calories.
For a 200 pound person they list: 1400 calories

It maxes out at 300 pounds: 2100 calories.

I always delude myself that 1500 calories it too low. That it would surely send my body into starvation mode.

OK, OK. 1500 calories. Crap!

I can't delude myself into thinking that that 'system' is based on sedentary people either.

New plan: Eat 1500 calories. (which is above the limit in this handy dandy book). On top of that if I do a 500+ calorie workout I will eat either a Clif bar or drink a Boost to compensate for the hunger of the exercise. Exercise does not equal license to eat 500 calories of whatever fast thing I can get my hands on.

I hate that I have been struggling with this (extra weight) for so long. 1500 calories sounds evilly low. Man! Crap! Double Crap! The truth hurts!

Excercise Recap:

Friday: Eliptical
Saturday: 1 hour bike on trainer
Sunday: 6K run at a pace that was challenging (168 avg, 179 max heart rate)
Monday: rest
Tuesday: Personal Trainer workout.

6 comments:

SeaBreeze said...

I looked at my calories for the day at 2PM and was only at 550, so I added some healthy options to get up to 800. It's not too hard when you get used to it. I try to subsist on 1500cals 365 days per year.

Recommendation: broth based soups, veggies with lemon juice, and easy to eat fruit.

Brightcetera said...

If you stuff yourself with LOTS of veggies & fruit & eat protein with it you'll feel full & can easily stay within that calorie range. If you see what I'm eating it's probably around 1500 cal. I'm never hungry. Look into the Eat Clean Diet & see if that's for you.

I lost you as a follower when I accidentally deleted my blog. Could you please come back? :)

angie nicholas said...

sounds like a good plan. I am eating around 1500 to 1760. sometimes a little lower as the others had said its not all that bad.you may feel hungry for the first couple of days but you will get used to it. Let us know how it goes you can do this Angie

Deborah said...

I know, I know, it's awful that you have to cut your calories down, but it will help if you want to lose some more. (That's the Mom in me speaking.)

I've found that if I eat 1300 I'll lose and if I eat 1500 I maintain. I just played with it for a while and found that to be true. Course you are way more active than me so 1500 is goooood.

Anonymous said...

Come over to the dark side sister....

Unknown said...

My personal trainer has told me that when people come to see him and start exercising, they start feeling incredibly hungry. He tells them that they should be eating more nutritous foods to fuel the muscles and aid in recovery, though WW, Jenny Craig, SureSlim, all tell them they should be eating less. The conflict in information as well as the feeling so hungry when exercising leads them to abandon exercise altogether.

I would ask myself, 'Which options is healthier?' Going around feeling hungry all the time and exercising, or eating slightly more so that you're satisfied and exercising. It may not be as high as 2,000 calories, but from the looks of the amount of activity you do, I get the impression that it's not as low as 1,500 calories.

Maybe try 1,700 for a day or so during your most intense exercise days and see how you feel?