Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What I learned from the Biggest Loser Finale

Frankly I was quite amazed that a couple who are 'old' could take what they learned in 2 weeks and transform themselves in such a radical way. In fact transform themselves even more than some people who spent months in the care of Bob and Jillian.

I think part of their secret is that they *are* old. It has to help that they probably don't work anymore and that they are retired from active parenting. If you could focus solely on making yourself thinner (lets call it what it is people, forget about sugar coating it by calling it getting healthier) you might see more success. Sad but true.

Regardless, it is just proof that all you need is determination and probably a little obsessive compulsive disorder. :)

My jaw was on the floor for sure.

5 comments:

Amber said...

I took something a bit different away . . . . I thought it was amazing that even these people who have had bad habits for much longer than I have been alive were able to change them. Kinda disproves the old saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks".
A pretty cool finale, for sure!!

Unknown said...

I don't know that 49 is all that OLD.
I sure didn't think so when I was 49 anyway.
I was thrilled for Jerry but never cared for Helen and didn't watch her win.
It isn't easy for an older person to lose weight even if they are home all day with temptation just a few feet away.
The metabolism slows pretty dramatically after 30.
I am 67 years and lost almost 100 pounds with pure will power and lots of bad foods around the house which I refuse to eat.
Here is wishing you to a very thin future and never struggle to lose weight in your old years.

Heather said...

After I posted that I knew I would come off as age-ist.

My intention was not to refer to helen as 'old'. Certainly not.

I was more trying to talk about the at home contestants specifically that super dynamo Jerry. Thinking of how amazing it was that he kicked so much butt and trying to think of any advantage he might have had.

The only one I could come up with was that he might have had more spare time than his younger competitors. He obviously had more determination and strength.

He definitely shocked everyone! I think he figured out what worked for him. I bet he was more successful at home than he might have been on the ranch. I bet with the crazy workouts that the trainers put people through on the ranch that he might have become injured in the process.

Anyways, hope I did not offend.

Hats off to all the 60+ people who are kicking butt in the health arena!

Deborah said...

I knew what you meant by the "old folks", you didn't offend me, but I'm here to tell you that being retired and having all this time on my hands to focus on weight loss hasn't helped me any at all.

Actually I think it has been a hinderance. I'm not as active as I was when I was a "spring chicken" like you. I have no distractions to keep me away from food. Maybe for someone 60+ people out there, that don't live alone, it would be easier. But for me, here all by myself, it's a struggle each and every hour. I'm here all day with food and nothing else to distract me. After I eat breakfast, all I can think of is what will I have for lunch, then dinner. I can't get food off my mind. I've tried lots and lots of different activities and nothing seems to help.

I think the motivation for Jerry was his health and of course the 100 grand. He was surely amazing!! I was thrilled that he won the at home prize, especially after he collapsed on the first show.

Heather said...

Great points Deborah. Being alone in the house is way more dangerous than being off at work somewhere (unless maybe you work in a restaurant). I should probably move my computer out of my kitchen :) :)