I have not been up to too much. Still walking. Still have too high a body fat percentage :) You know, the usual.
I am still using myfitnesspal.com daily to log my food. Well most days. I sometimes flake out on the weekends because ya know, I don't sit in front of a computer all day on the weekends like I do weekdays and ask myself at least 5 times a weekend... "Where is my cell phone?" So, that interferes a bit with my food logging. Because I let it. I know I know.
Right now my fitness goals include trying to get at least 10,000 steps in a day (as counted by Mr. Fitbit) and to have some sort of calorie deficit to get rid of fat. (but not too big of a deficit) The 10,000 steps help me get there.
Here is my Fitbit link (http://www.fitbit.com/user/2353KD). If you go there try not to notice that for the past 4 days I was under 10,000 steps. Shhhh! To be fair, I did forget it at home yesterday so the 3,700 steps that I did get were all after 6pm when I finally put it on. But I have not excuse for the other days.
I have not be dropping lots and lots of weight like some people (hi Lizabeth!) but I will take it. It has been about 2 months of logging my food. I am only down 4 pounds but that is OK with me. My goal was never to lose it all in 4 months. My goal is to do something that I can maintain forever.
A lot of talk on the myfitnesspal forums and elsewhere seems to be talking about women lifting weights and how they should do it. The idea is to build muscle which raises how many calories you burn just by being alive and also makes your stronger and look better. The new thing is the concept for women to lift weights just like men do ie) higher weights, lower reps. If you do that you will build muscles. Apparently you won't do that by using 5 pound weights in sets of 15.
I just started reading this book.
Lift like a man, Look like a goddess. Hmmmm..... that sounds interesting.
So far I am still in the theory part. Will let you know when I actually pick up a weight! :)
Damn I miss having a personal trainer twice a week. Darn full time job and bills and stuff! :)
I can't remember if I posted this before. If I have please excuse my senility. Check out this girl's story:
Started out at 170 pounds. Mega cardio and calorie restricted her way down to 113 pounds and was very hungry. Started doing weights and eating Paleo.
Left: 131 pounds, Right 142 pounds
Go to the link to read more. It is very interesting.
"When you strength train with very heavy weights for low numbers of repetitions, you build incredibly DENSE, tight muscle. It’s funny, but if you really want that toned look in your legs, stomach, and arms – picking up small weights and doing lots of repetitions isn’t doing anything – it’s really heavy weights with low repetition that will sculpt the body you’re after."



4 comments:
Hey there,
I am a believer of weight training after focusing on cardio for a long time. I found a 12 week training plan for free on Bodybuilding.com and it has done wonders for me. The Livefit program developed by Jamie Eason is great and there isn't a lot of cardio. Plus the website has little videos to help you through each exercise. I am on my second time around with the Livefit program and will continue into my third round. I print off the workouts and have them in a binder. Jamie also has recipes as well. Just thought I would let you know if you wanted a free option to try weight training! Weight training might be the push your body might need to fire up your metabolism.
Hi there,
Although I have to agree with my bud Nickiechickie that weight training is awesome (I love how strong it makes you feel and how you can burn an insane amount of calories just standing still when you are ripped), I wish that the Staci example focused more on what she was eating. No refined carbs. Not a single one. No dairy. Lots of veg, lots of LEAN protein, a little fruit.
I truly believe that the long term key to health & fitness is 80% what you put in your mouth.
Time can easily get away from all of us and make it difficult to get a workout in (or the huge time commitment needed for serious, proper weight training) but we can all control what, where & when we eat.
Just my two cents. Keep up the good fight! :)
wow - that was a pretty good article. I think it really emphasizes the importance of exercising smart. Certainly she gets more bang for her exercise buck! I've actually recently asked my personal trainer to ramp it up a bit - although I also agree with the other comment.... at least for me - it's what I'm stuffing in my mouth that gets me in trouble!!
Meanwhile - I can't believe how many steps you get in in a day! Yowsers!! Good work!!
Post a Comment