Monday, May 28, 2012

Hey, Its Monday!

I have really been enjoying the outdoors since winter went away.  This past weekend my son had an
"away" hockey tournament north of the city.  Husband and son went off to go to that on Friday and Saturday morning daughter and I took off for the mountains.  Score!  No hockey tournament for me!  (*bad mommy*)

So at 10am on Saturday daughter and I headed west.  We had 3 new Canadians in tow (my kid's caregiver and two of her friends).  They had never been to the mountains before.  They were most amusing too.  They loved to have their picture taken while striking a pose.  So funny!!!  Seriously, it was like we were on a fashion shoot every stop we made.  Picture!Picture!

Anyways... we went for a walk at Johnston's canyon.  We made it to the upper falls.  According to my fitbit we walked up the equivalent of 76 flights of stairs.  The whole hike took us about 2 hours.  Daughter and I (and Bing)  want to go back and try to make it farther to the "Inkpots".  Daughter is only 7 so I am a little bit worried that she would not make it the whole way without whining.  Decisions, decisions.

Sometime this summer I want to go up Ha Ling peak in Canmore.  It is supposed to be an "easy" hike but it is a long way up.  I have been up a few times but not in the last 9 years!  :)  Who wants to come with me?  I'm thinking July.  Gotta work on some fitness before then... plus it is cold up there right now!  :)  Are you with me?  OK, September if you are going camping all summer.  I'm looking at you Amber (if Amber reads this blog...)

On Sunday daughter wanted to go roller blading (we stayed overnight in a hotel).  Which we did on the new Legacy trail that starts at the East Park Gate.   We started out at a parking lot a little bit west of the gate.  All was going fine until we came to an extended downhill.  Unfortunately daughter was wearing her hockey roller blades (bought by her father not me!!) and she had no brakes.  This resulted in her taking off her blades to walk, which resulted in sulking and turning back.  Lesson learned.  Should have gone east towards the gate not west towards Banff!

Anyways...

Back to last Friday when I challenged myself to walk 20,000 steps.  I got off work early and walked from downtown to the zoo.  There were only 3 sketchy characters along my way and they seemed friendly enough.  I was on the north side of the river.  Still... with cars whizzing by it is not the most serene walking route.  I did enjoy looking at the baby geese and only had to intimidate one mommy goose who tried to take a run at me.

Once I got home I think I was at around 18,000 steps.  In the end I made it over 25,000 steps by going on another walk on the pathway.  But, that was not a wise move.  My feet started hurting in the old way of pre-orthotics.  I think for now I will cap my walking at 15,000 steps.

So that is all I have to say for now.  Are you enjoying spring?

2 comments:

Amber said...

Bring it on!!
Unfortunately, it will likely be September but let's set a date and mark it in. :)

Amber said...

PS- Of course I read your blog!!